Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Go To Sleep

Hello everyone. Another track has been completed for "The Gramollie Experience!" As you may have guessed already, this song is an original composition called, "Go To Sleep." The track starts off with a little introduction of random noise. Now you may think at first, "Oh no, not another Mustard in the Wind." Don't worry people, this is not another Mustard. I thought it sounded weird with no intro, the beginning was too sudden. So I decided to take about 25-30 seconds to give a taste of the atmosphere. It just felt right. I wanted this song to sound really creepy. I wanted it to be something you may here in a 1980's horror movie. While creating this song, I was thinking along the lines of sleep and nighttime. I thought of originally calling it "Dead People Watch Me While I Sleep," but I quickly decided on "Go To Sleep." While making this song, I was thinking of thoughts that some may find disturbing. What if dead people surrounded your bed while you were sleeping? Is that the reason we humans have eyelids? So we can block out the shear reality of the spiritual realm? Now I must make it clear that I don't personally believe this, I'm not that insane. But I was thinking of that concept while writing it. This song isn't complicated at all. In fact, it's extremely repetitive. It spans out to just over four minutes. I may possibly shorten it, but I don't plan to. I'm going to wait until I get feedback from my test audience. I'm personally very happy with this track. It just may be my favourite song that I've recorded already. I'm generally very judgmental of my own work. I'm a perfectionist, which is why it's sometimes hard for me to listen to things that I've recorded. But I actually enjoy this track. I love how catchy and eery it is. It's far from perfect though. The audio quality is not too impressive. I'd like to re-record it in the future. Also, some white noise got into there that I couldn't take out, so that was frustrating for me.

It was quite an experience recording and mixing this track. I've been doing some experiments, seeing which methods result in the best sound quality. If the microphone is too close to the speaker, it can easily get distorted. You get the best sound if there's a distance between the mic and the speakers, but you mustn't make them too much apart or you'll get every musician's nightmare, white noise. White noise is that little devil that finds its way into amateur recordings, making them sound unprofessional. Naturally, there are ways to prevent this. Getting a better mic works, but I'm trying to save my money currently. Audacity also enables you to remove white noise, and it actually works fairly well. But for some reason, it didn't work well with this song. I'm going to continue to investigate what I could've done differently during this recording session.

My album is coming along very well. Mahna Mahna and Tequila are still being worked on on the side. I don't expect them to be completed until the beginning of January. I predict though that the next song to be fully complete is Sawyer's World. Everything is going smoothly so far for the most part. Thank you very much for reading, and don't forget to check out the YouTube Links page so you can listen to and criticize my stuff. :)

1 comment: